Thursday, February 9, 2023

Why I'm In This Class

     As a journalism major, naturally it would be easiest for me to say this course is just a graduation requirement for me. Although this is true, my reasoning for becoming a journalism major, hence the reason I'm in this class, runs far deeper than just a surface level requirement.

    I've always been an avid writer and I knew from a very early age that my career would in some way be centered around writing. Since elementary school, my teachers have noted how easily writing comes to me and how impressed they've been with my work. 

    This lead me to write more in my free time in order to keep improving my skills, I loved how it felt to be recognized for something I was good at and I wanted to maintain this skill. Now, I write poems and short stories as a hobby which has truly fostered my love for writing to this day. 

    Naturally, English became my favorite subject in school, however, I didn't always know that this would lead to a career in journalism.

    In my senior year of high school, I took my first ever journalism class. In this class, I found that I had a passion for this style of writing and I immediately knew that this was what I wanted to pursue in college. It was the experience I gained from writing in class and from joining the staff of my school newspaper that  made me realize I wanted to explore this field more.

    In high school, I also had the chance to serve on the newspaper staff as the Arts and Entertainment editor. This was a great experience for me because I realized from this position that I wanted to not only go into journalism, but I wanted to have a focus in pop culture and entertainment style writing. 

    Now, my dream job would be to work in either print or broadcast journalism reporting for an entertainment company.

    In addition to these experiences, I knew I wanted my career to have some kind of deeper meaning. After learning more about the journalism industry and what I can do within this field, I realized the benefits of using my writing to tell the truth. Oftentimes, news can be stretched, contorted, and made to look a certain way to appease certain people. Once I learned that I could use my writing to eliminate this fatal flaw and fight against it, I developed an even deeper desire to become a journalist. 

    After having these thoughts and experiences, I knew I was on the right path to becoming a journalist, and along that path, I made my way to where I am now in this class.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Martha Gellhorn EOTO

Martha Gellhorn was a well-known author, journalist, and travel writer in the 1900s. She specialized in war correspondence, covering almost...